Grievance Corner

What Should I do if I think I may have a grievance?

While we do not believe generally Chairs, Deans and other Administrators violate the contract, sometimes it does happen. You may experience any range of violations from losing a course within one week of start-up date, to loss of a course and seniority rights or even find that you have not been removed. Whatever the case, your AFA is here to help you to determine if you have a case.

What to do? First you can read your contract (PDF) here. Or you can contact the AFA Office at 847-635-2193 and leave a message, drop by the AFA Office (2470 DP) when we are open, or email us We will contact you as soon as possible and/or forward to the appropriate person.

Secondly, and most importantly, you need to document or provide evidence that there has been a violation of the contract. Therefore a preventive approach toward ensuring documentation is to : 1) keep all emails, texts, tweets or the like, as well as memoranda regarding work; 2) document days, times and dates of any conversations, if your concern relates to obtaining courses make sure that you keep a copy and submission date of your preference form; and finally, 3) if you think others were present make a note and put in a folder. Generally a timeline is most helpful depending on the situation. To be sucessful we must have evidence.

Finally, we will try to settle informally, but you need to contact us as soon as you have a concern of any contract violations and with the informal discussion we may be able to resolve the situation or begin the grievance process. It is always your right to have an AFA representative present when you talk to the administration.